I second this, I use toast though, the diff being I had someone buy me the more expensive roxio program, yay birthdays!!
On 22/01/2006, at 10:56, Lawrence Sica wrote:

On Jan 22, 2006, at 1:48 PM, Dennis Goglin wrote:

I thought when I purchased my new ibook with the superdrive that I'd be able to download/import movies from a dvd and save them to view whenever I chose. I never really considered the infringement of copyrights or anything as selling something has never been part of the plan. I simply thought I'd be a cool way to create a video library. Whether I stored the movies on a larger external hard drive or copied them to disc. So I guess my question is two- fold: 1. Is it possible to save/copy a movie from a dvd that I have either rented or borrowed? 2. Is doing this illegal?

I've briefly browsed some sites that claim to have software to support this. But I thought better to get some direction and guidance from people I've learned to respect.

There are programs that let you rip DVDs. You can do this for your own personal use under Fair Use only for dvds you own. I do this for my movies that I own and put the originals away so they don't get damaged. Rented and borrowed movies don't fall under this though as you don't own the actual DVD. I myself use Mac The Ripper to rip the dvd and I use Popcorn to reburn them. Popcorn is from the same people who make Toast.

--Larry