Bruce Ryan said recently:

> Hi Listas
>
> tried putting one of the recalcitrant disks inside the Pismo: still
> no joy (See http://sites.ecosse.net/mycelium/forothers/
> forothersMain.html#update)
>
> So the options seem to be:
> 1: give up on Firewire and find a USB2 PC card that works in the
> Pismo, then use the 40GB HD in the USB2 case as a back-up device
>
> 2: find a firewire PC card that works in the Pismo
>
> 3: cobble the 40GB into an expansion bay module.
>
> What do you all think? Can anyone how suggest item 3 is done and
> supply me with an appropriate EBM?
>
> many thanks
>
> Bruce

Hi Bruce
the link broke because of being wrapped in the email client.
(using < and > at each end of a link will stop that in future).

2 things you can try

disconnect all external cables. disconnect from mains. Disconnect Battery.
Wait 15mins. Also ensure Ext HD is disaconnected (though don't know if this
is necessary).
This resets the firewire bus apparently and has worked on my Desktop on the
2 occasions when my LaCie firewire HD wouldn't mount or show in System
Profiler. (Obviously I added the battery part of the instructions as you
otherwise wont be unpowered)

or
(If Pismo can start in OF - don't know Pismos).

Start up into Open Firmware by pressing and holding the Command, Option, O
and F keys simultaneously combination during startup.
At the prompt, type the following commands, one by one, pressing the return
key after each (your system will automatically restart after pressing return
the last time):
    €    reset-nvram
    €    set-defaults
    €    reset-all