I have an Aluminum G4 15" with the original 1 speed DVD-R burner, OS 10.4.3. I've been trying to burn about 800 MB of data onto a blank 4.7GB DVD-R. I get a message that there is not enough room on the disk. There should be plenty of room and the hard drive has lots of room to create a "scratch disk" if needed. I've tried burning from the Finder and from the Disk Utility making a disk image.

Once I got the message "Failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media". I know that the media is DVD-R. I'm not sure of the speed of the media. I usually burn at the slowest speed to be safe. Does this sound like a problem that an incompatible media would create or does it sound like a hardware issue?

Ryan