On Feb 1, 2006, at 6:36 PM, Der Mickster wrote:

Should have got me a Pismo, by the look of it. But, well, I have this
WallStreet and it's here to stay, and I intend to use the living hell
out of it. So, yeah . . .

Any idea about how to procure a budget-conscious bootable DVDROM drive
for the WallStreet? I'm being offered one for 80 USD, which somehow
strikes as a ripoff, especially considering that the postage will eat
up another 30 . . . I don't think I'm ready to spend that much for a
mere DVDROM; ideas, anyone?

If you already have a (presumably faulty) dvd/cd drive for the machine, you can remove the drive unit from the carrier (remove the 2 #0 screws on either side of the chassis, apparantly not the two on the 'top' of the unit, and slide the drive out of the carrier, then just slide in a new one. i found a compatible "laptop ide" drive on pricewatch.com or on computergeeks.com for around $50.

A friend had a spare slot loading drive that he gave to me... i swapped the drive with my original DVD-ROM, and now i have a bootable CD/DVD drive, and CD-R capability. Whoo!

-s

--
Scott Lawrence
[EMAIL PROTECTED]