on 2/4/06 4:46 PM, G-Books at G-Books@mail.maclaunch.com wrote:

> Subject: Re: Airport Woes
> From: Mark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>>> Where, of course they say ONLY Airport 1.2 will work.  I have successfully
>>> installed Airport 1.2 using the tome stuff.  I know the site says this is
>>> all about OS 8.6 and I'm running OS 9, so maybe that's the issue.  I do,
>>> however have Airport showing up now in my control strip, but still there is
>>> no option under AppleTalk or TCP/IP for Airport.  And clicking on Airport in
>>> the control strip tells me that no card is available.
>>

>> Well, then, what card are you using again exactly?  Either you are using an
>> unsupported card, or you are using a card that is not suited for your wifi
>> router (some b cards will not connect to g networks even when ther router is
>> set to B/G mode), or your card is fritzed.  What kind of card are you using,
>> what kind of router, and has the card and the router been confirmed to work
>> in/with other machines?
>
> I'm using a Lucent Technologies Orinoco Silver 11 Mbit/s  PC24E-H-FC
> Encryption: WEP  That seems to be the most pertinent info on it.  The router
> is a linksys 54g wireless unit.
>
> I haven't tried re-installing the Airport 1.3.1 (via tome) yet, but I think
> it's probably the card slot that is bad.  This card does work in my Kanga-
> at least is shows up on the desktop, lights up and finds my network.  I
> haven't actually gotten it connect yet, but I think in that case (Kanga's)
> it's just a matter of turning off the router's 128 bit WEP.  From what I
> understand the Silver isn't (without flashing up to a gold) capable of
> connecting with a 128 bit encrypted network.
>
> So I think the card is good, the router definitely works, and that leaves
> the PowerBook itself that must be the culprit.  I'm going to try and find a
> (cheap) ethernet PC card and see what happens there, just to see if that
> will work, but I'm thinking it's probably a bad card slot(s) on this PB.

Hey Mark,

Aha, I think we have some of it nailed down, at least the failure in the
Kanga.  Try turning off the WEP first, then see if you get it.  But the cold
hard fact is this:  When I installed a Linksys G router almost all my B
devices--from bridges to third party cards--could no longer connect--all
except actual internal Airport cards and some Gold cards.  Is your router
set up to B/G mode?  Well, even if so, many B devices will no longer connect
to even a B/G network.  This is a recent development and one I have yet to
fully suss out.  My guess is twofold:  Bit capacity and throughput.  This is
contrary to the PR which claims B should be forward compatible.  Not all
are.  My solution for now:  Patch in the old B wifi router into the G router
and run both networks, leaving the G router as "G" only.

This may or may not address your situation, wherein the cord does not even
show up as an airport card.  Again, bit density may be in play.  For
example, a Wavelan/Prinoco Bronze or Silver will boot in a 1400, but a Gold
will not.  Has your card firmware been upped without your knowledge?  Have
you tested to make sure the cage is in play, ie used another card to test
the cage?

Run