Stardate 060210.12:38 -0500. A subspace message from G Henry Taylor reads:

It's a refurbished Toshiba MK6021GAS 60 gig. Boots in my Pismo.

Mmm, that's a compliant drive.

I think it's the processor in the Lombard. I have the same problem when I try to install unbuntu to a smaller (4.35 Apple HDD) in the Lombard,

How much RAM is in there? If you're adept, pop the keyboard, dive inside and remove both RAM modules and check their chip-number via Google to make sure the SO-DIMM is correctly labeled -- I've seen more than a few mis-labeled DIMMs in my time, some under-rated to the label, some over-rated.

If either of them are Apple-badged, put that one back in and leave any after-market modules out (or if you replaced all Apple ones with 3rd-party's, put the Apple ones back in). To perform a stability test, boot off a Mac OS 9.1 Installer CD, launch Drive Setup, and leave it to do a drive test. This puts enough load on the CPU, RAM, and keeps the ATA bus busy.

If it doesn't lock up after a test with the old RAM back in, then its the RAM. If it *does* lock up, then its the CPU that's failing. It could also be the ATA controller on the logicboard, or part of the bridge-board as well, but they're usually pretty sturdy (and if they decide to misbehave, they usually just stop dead).

Geoffrey
--
 "I'm afraid music in the modern idiom is too repetitive for my tastes