On Feb 11, 2006, at 6:49 AM, Brian McEwen wrote:

Suggestions welcome re: hardware. I really feel done re: help troubleshooting networking, please :) It's real, and it's not something I can change, it's certain versions of server-side stuff that breaks the Apple side (or the Apple side isn't compliant too, I don't know)- but when XP, 9.1, PalmOS 5.0.3, and a Newton Messagepad can be configured to connect to an open network, and my 10.4 machine cannot, it's not my skills at wireless configs that is the issue...

No, it isn't. It's a defective AlBook, or more precisely a broken Airport Extreme card. It's got nothing to do with OS X or configurations. Perhaps the card isn't responding properly on all channels, or the firmware is corrupted on it. IAC, I'd get it replaced. Open networks should let anything on, and if it won't work on open networks something's not right.

--
Bruce Johnson

"No matter where you go, there you are", B. Banzai