On 17-Feb-06, at 6:56 AM, MorningAJ wrote:

Amber Robey writes:

A relative in England has sent me two MPEG files but Quicktime
does not recognize or play them.

   Remember the discussion on open-source goodies?
   http://www.videolan.org
   Go there and get VLC. It's quite wonderful.

cheers,
A.J.

Good Morning A.J,

Thanks for the reply.  I did manage to download it and play the
video.  However, I am wondering if there is a way to somehow convert
the video to quicktime format so I can import it into iMovie or iDVD ?

Amber

The most flexible way will cost you $20 - that' s the price of Apple's QuickTime MPEG2 Playback Component. With that installed, you can use the wonder - and free - program MPEG Stream Clip to export the video to dv.

Or, if you just want to produce a dvd, you can do it for free. Just use MovieGate to make a dvd. You can create a menu and chapters for it. (this way, of course, you don't get to edit the video, but you get a dvd ready in under a half hour :-))

You can get both MPEG Stream Clip and MovieGate from the excellent french site www.macetvideo.com

<rant> I fail to see why iDVD does not support mpeg2 files, even if the qt mpeg2 component is installed </rant> That's one more point in favor of MovieGate: if the video files are already mpeg2, they do not need to be reencoded to produce a dvd.

Luis Sequeira