On Feb 15, 2006, at 7:14 AM, Richard Starr wrote:

--- You wrote:
I know this is a fairly common problem, Im just not sure how to solve
it.  I thought CPU Director would help, but I recommended that to
somebody but apparently it did not see any L3 cache.

Any help appreciated

Chris P

--- end of quote ---
Which G4 are you using.  My dual 800 is an origianl Apple board from a
Quicksilver and is running in a Digital Audio. I've been able to get the L3 running in os 9 with CPU Director and in Panther with Sonnet's Cache program.

At the moment I am totally stumped about getting the L3 running in Tiger. I've spend a huge amount of time on it. I expect it has something to do with differences in the firmware between the Quicksilver and th Digital Audio.

If you are running the Dual 800 in its original machine, it is Apple's problem and they should fix it. (Good luck.) If not, I haven't found the answer.

If you want technical details, I've dug pretty deep. Mostly seems to have to do with CPUDirector not being able to find the cache memory. The developer tool CHUD /Reggie which looks for these things too, seems to find all the right
addresses but still can't enable the cache.

I believe he's talking about me and mine.

I recently installed an Apple DUAL 800 from a Quicksilver into my Digital Audio, which is running Tiger. The system sees the L2 but not the L3 cache.

I've installed CPU Director, and the Sonnet Cache program. I even discover I could use CHUD/Reggie to look at the L3 registers. Many of which are set, but the L3 is not enabled.

- Ron.