It is becoming abundantely clear that I need some extra help with re-setting my
brain to
the S X.

Which books/resources have you used and preferred?

I have beeing using mac since it was first available (I owned a 128 K machine)
but I feel
like I need something that starts at the beginning - especially because I am
now bringing
my 77 year old father into the mac world and he really is starting from nothing!

Apple actually recommended "The Missing Manual" when I called, but I've seen
others
mentioned.  So, what's best?