From: Bruce Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [G] Mac future
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 09:58:41 -0700

First of all, thanx for a well-written answer to my speculations. However, I think I need to add a bit to your otherwise eloquent musings:

[...]

And what about viruses? Rumors (or speculations) here on the G- list =20=

tend towards universal viruses.

That's difficult to believe. I've not seen any of these rumors or =20
speculations.
I have come across speculations here on the G-list. Speculations, not rumors, that is. Something to the effect that equal instructions set = equal opportunity for virus writers. No matter if X is Unix and Longhorn/Vista/Whatever is something else (the cat dragged in), also the fact? rumors? that The Dark Side is considering switching over to the Macintel BIOS instead of their present, old-fashioned, mal- written BIOS. A switch the malwarists would pounce upon with glee in their tiny minds. Those are in essence the speculations here. How much hold there is in them somebody else has to figure out, machine code is not my strong side. But I think the people posting them must have a hunch. On the other hand, Apple is not going to sit on their hands either. The last word is not said...

And when is apple going to come up with a decent macintel 12" =20
powerbook? Ingeniously small, eminently portable, and with larger-=20
screen connection should the need arise.

Geez, PATIENCE, willya! We JUST got the 15" models first because =20
that's by far their most popular line. You may like the 12" ones but =20 the majority of their customers like the 15 and 17" ones. We haven't =20 even hit the originally scheduled release dates for any of the models =20=

yet...I'll wager the full laptop line is switched over by WWDC.

Yeah. patience... So the 15" is most popular? Well, it figures. WWDC?

Those 14/15/17" models quickly outgrow decent backpacks, =20
necessitating special carrying cases/bags/packs.

You must have a very tiny backpack. These <http://www.tucano.it/ITA/ =20 html_esterno/new_folders/frame_folders.htm> sleeves from Tucano are =20
very nice, provide excellent padding for the laptops and lets you =20
toss the laptop into a far more nondescript backpack than a typical =20
computer case.

Oh, my packs are big enough, but its just that the 15" looks so BIG once youre used to the 12" form factor. And I have gotten a similar sleeve in the Apple store. Shocking baby blue, looks nothing like a computer enclousure, suits me fine (and the mac). :)

And gone is small-but-powerful, which I now think are the =20
essentials of portables.

Why, the 12" PPC model is still availablem, and it's not really a =20
slouch.
--

By no means, I have one of these beasts. My first NEW mac since a LCII (all the others have been second hands, some bought at outrageous prices compared to what one gets for them today (nothing)). Taking it with me everywhere. Addicted! :)

Bruce Johnson

This is the sig who says 'Ni!'