On Feb 24, 2006, at 10:47 AM, AB wrote:

I have too much on my plate to be messing with my computer today... but I did anyway.

Currently must leave house soon for two days but can't properly eject FW volume and"system" volume from a disk image from an old system. The dmg volume was a back-up from my old ibook that is dead. I opened it in my new ibook to see if I could copy apps and other data. Apparently it's hung up on permissions or something.

It's not the volume I'm booted from so why can't I eject it?

Ownership says it's my username but all access is greyed out. I attempted to change ownership to "system" and some other things for experiment but wouldn't let me (got error message). So everything is still the same. Doesn't matter if I have it locked or unlock, and "ignore ownership" ticked or not. Will not eject and therefore can't eject the external FW drive either because it says it's in use.

I don't have time for this crap today! I do not want to imprperly shut down my firewire BU drive... too many important things on it.

Numerous programs, Preview is one of them, will prevent a volume from ejecting properly if they're still running and you opened a file on the volume previously.

Sometimes you get 'stale' file locks, where the system thinks a file is open and isn't.

Shutting down will properly close everything out.

--
Bruce Johnson

This is the sig who says 'Ni!'