>What is the version of Toast that is the last for OS 9?
>
>Is this the best version that will work with OS 9?

Depends upon which version of 9.

Roxio Toast Titanium required 9.2.1 or later, which meant 9.2.2 (the
supposed gateway into OS X). I use 5.0.2 on 9.2.1. I only install 9.2.2
on a machine I am going to install OS X on.

Earlier versions of 9: 9.0, 9.1, etcetera, could use Toast 4, but not
Toast 5.

I kept both Toast 4 (Toast Deluxe 4.1.2, retail) and Toast 5 (Roxio Toast
5.0.2, retail) on 9.2.1 as there were certain features which required
one, as these wouldn't work as expected and required on the other.

5.0.2 is supposed to work on 9 and X, and I suppose it does, but as I was
moving to X, I also required DVD authoring and duplication capabilities
which 5 couldn't provide, but 6 plus Popcorn could (now 7 obviates the
need for Popcorn, but read on).

After converting most of my work to OS X (10.3.9 and 10.4.4) I use Toast
Titanium 6.1.1 and Popcorn 1.0.3.

1.0.3 has all the patches which are required for 10.4, but it still will
not work properly on 10.4. Roxio blames a 10.4 incompatibility. Apple
says 10.4 is working as expected.

Therefore, I stay with 10.3.9 as no version of 10.4 will properly process
a DVD under Popcorn.

Under X, you do have to be careful as to which writer you choose.

Some of my older writers were supported natively by OS X. But, those
writers were deficient in that they didn't handle + media, which my PVR
seems to prefer, and they didn't handle dual-layer +/- media, either.

So, PatchBurn is used on 10.3 and 10.4 to provide support for the very
latest writers (all are Pioneer, except for one Teac laptop drive, which
is in my Lombard).

All of these drives are essentially beyond that which are supplied as
so-called SuperDrives.

Media sensitivity has been experienced, and now all three of my
mainstream writers, DVR-109, DVR-110 and DVR-K15 are running
"cross-flashed" firmware, borrowed from the BenQ versions of these
Pioneer drives.

These firmware updates have eliminated all bad burns, and have for the
first time enabled my Pismo to burn a DVD at full rated speed (this had
to be manually set to 2X or less, each time, before installing the BenQ
firmware).

The BenQ firmware also sets the "book type" so that duplicates will
appear as DVD-ROMs, which is what many players require.

All of this is so that my office suite of CD/DVD authoring and
duplication tools can work in the field on my Pismo or Lombard.

And, they do!