On 26 Feb 2006, at 13:37, Jim Bunstock wrote:

My son called to tell me he has suddenly run into a problem with his G4 Quicksilver, running 10.3.x. Out of the blue it has begun to display a strange message at boot. When he powers up the machine now he goes directly into a grey screen that begins to fill up with what he describes as "gibberish" text, and it finally ends with the phrase "we are hanging here".

He cannot start with extensions off, and cannot boot from a CD. There seem to be no options available to this sequence.

He says he does not recall any precipitating event -- no suspicious e-mails or any out-of-the-ordinary attachments. This just started one day when he powered up.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

jim bunstock

the machine is booting in verbose mode. There is likely some hardware issue. Memory has always been the suggestion as a place to start. In my case, it was the HD.

Cheers,

Jim Sanderson