To: <>
Sent: Sunday, February 20, 2005 3:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Megillot] Neil Altman on Qumran, Toronto Star

Epiphanius' Panarion is a very important historical source. One need not
appreciate him personally or his writing style to see that his confidence that
he can refute heretics and his work to learn about various groups and their
literature allows him to quote from them and describe them extensively, using
many now-lost, hence quite valuable, sources.

best,
Stephen Goranson

Quoting Dierk van den Berg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Epiphanius' half-witted Panarion is not even a tertiary source for a serious

approach to the historicity of the DSS. Personally I have not enough
sitzfleisch to deal with his obscure 'faces', amalgamated with a will that
is doubtlessly off one's trolley and wholly bent on multiplication and
ubiquity of the demon of heresy.

_Dierk

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen Goranson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>