On Sep 3, 2008, at 5:06 AM, Steve R wrote:

> At 11:06 PM -0700 9/2/08, J Winter posted:
> please make suggestions.  (Specs and plans are in signature.
>
> removing original 10 Gig drive to install larger drive.
>
> What enclosure to get?
>
> Only one that is easy/convenient to get is MacAlly.
>
> I like that it has firewire 400/800/USB.

> Are there others that are sufficiently better/smaller, etc (or less
> expensive) tht I should get something different? ...
>
> If it's a fantastic price, I'd go for it.

If it was a fantastic price, i wouldn't have posed the question. :-)
(I don't recall the price -- last one I bought was a few months  ago
-- but it was about 20% more than I wanted to spend, just OK enough
to let me justify getting it for expedience.

> I have four different
> external HD enclosures ...Having multiple choices for connections is
> imperative if you ever plan on upgrading or using it on a different
> computer that may not have a spare slot for a particular enclosure.

I have a few (rarely used), but i think this is the only one with the
multiple connections. I think the other few are USB. Although newest
Mac supports only up to firewire 400, I figure that anything new that
i get has to have at least 400 firewire and preferably 400/800.
That's why I am not taking seriously the ten dollar USBs, although
the price is enticing, and i don't expect to use them often (now).

> If I had my purchases to do over, I'd try to get enclosures that
> could stack on one another, safely, to save desk space.

That is one of the features of the Mac Ally that I has easy access
to, but at "floor price" at shop that is doing repairs (very
reasonably).

> Also keep in
> mind it is sometimes less expensive to buy an enclosure with a drive
> than it is to buy a bare drive.

How do you do that? i.e., Size - I want portable size. the only times
i have seen drive in enclosures are ones that are physically too
large.  The MacAlly is a little larger and heavier than I want it to
be. but, it can't be much smaller and have room for the drive. it
can't be much shorter and stlll be stackable safely. (It has "rubber"
spacers is strategic places that make it obvious that, barring an
earthquake -- or large, unruly, four-legged friend, it would stay
secure on desk.)

Any more opinions?