On Sep 19, 2008, at 11:30 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2008, at 12:15 PM, Doug Burton wrote:
>>
>> Okay, originally I had two sticks of 256M RAM installed.  Removing
>> one
>> and attempting to boot I get a bong, but then no video.  HD's don't
>> sound like they are coming up.  Taking out that stick and putting the
>> other one in I get a bong and then it tries to boot with gray screen,
>> etc. but then the HD's all power down and the machine shut off.  Does
>> this mean both sticks are bad or is it just that the HD got corrupted
>> by the bad stick of RAM and needs to be replaced?  I have another
>> HD I
>> can use to try it.
>
> NOpe neither. You either have a failing PS or a dead/dying logic
> board. I don't think DA's are susceptible to weirdness with PRAM
> batteries, and in any case that wouldn't affect the system once it's
> booted up.

Would have to say no to logic board as I swapped it with my other
identical DA.

> Yank the drive and check it out on a known working Mac with something
> like this <http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ADA-2012&cat=CBL>
> they also sell one that does SATA too for about $13.
>
> If it was just a corrupted drive, you would either hang at the boot
> somewhere or get a flashing folder.
>
> Powering down is a sign that the power supply is shutting itself down.
> It will do that if it's damaged and is thermally shutting down or if
> something plugged into it is drawing too much power. (generally a
> short somewhere in the system)
>
> --
> Bruce Johnson

As a file server, this DA is running 4-300 Gb SATA drives plus the 40
Gb ATA OS drive.  I'm leaning towards the PS myself.  Also this
machine was subject to a recent power outage due to high winds here in
the midwest, but it was on a UPS which allows for a safe shutdown when
the power remaining is down to 25%.  I will attempt to boot without
the 4 server drives hooked up to power and see what I get.  Thanks for
your insight Bruce.

Just a message from Doug...