On Sep 21, 2008, at 5:17 AM, Brian Durant wrote:

> I have what appears to be a fully functioning new 10.5.5 system on
> my G5 single, but for some reason it doesn't show up in the startup
> disk control panel. Booting from the Leopard install DVD, I have run
> Disc Utility and checked the drive as well as repaired permissions,
> but even booting from the DVD, I can't set my new system as the
> startup disk.
>

> Here is a recap:
> I just tried installing Leopard (10.5.4) on my G5 single with
> "archive and install". It worked fine until the end, where I got a
> message saying that the installation was almost complete - a minute
> left. After about 10 minutes, I clicked on the "utilities" menu in
> the menu bar and suddenly got a spinning beach ball. The progress
> bar stopped moving at the same time. The situation remained the same
> for over an hour before I shut down my G5.I rebooted without the
> install DVD and got an intro video and then Migration Manager kicked
> in. The video and Migration Manager continued recycling if anything
> besides migrating system and network prefs. I went for that as I
> thought that the other bits could probably be transfered later. I
> got the following error message:
> "Networking settings could not be transferred correctly"I booted
> into the system. Looong boot up with a yellowish-white screen, then
> a black one and then finally I got a prompt to set settings,
> register, etc. Access to the Internet through my router worked, I
> also suddenly got a prompt that updates to the system were
> available. I decided things couldn't get that much worse, so I
> updated to 10.5.5. The system rebooted and things still seem to be
> working, though I still think the system boot is long compared to
> Tiger.

On the hackintosh groups this stop at "one minute" is common, and they
say to reboot the install DVD and do the identical install again, it
won't balk or force an archive or erase installation, but will
continue the previous, at least this is what they say. They say it
checks what's already been installed and finishes "very quickly". THEN
update AFTER it's finished. I think you've screwed it probably? You
could try with the original install DVD again, but my guess is that it
won't allow you to continue, and will want either an archive install
or an erase and install. If this is the case, I suggest starting over
again.

Good luck!