On Oct 4, 2008, at 7:06 AM, Doug Burton wrote:

> I just ordered a processor upgrade from OWC <http://
> eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/MAXG47S1600/
>> and 2-512 Mb sticks of iRam from NewEgg for the extra DA I have
> sitting here in my room.  I've never upgraded a processor like this
> before, is it pretty easy to do?  I've done the ones in a B&W and
> beige machines but this will be my first DA.  I plan to use this as my
> main computer and I'm basically taking everything out of my previous
> main system, the G4 500 Mhz upgraded B&W. I will be using the combo
> DVD/CDRW and 80 GB HD and adding a 120 Gb HD for data.  I presently
> have 10.3.9 on the HD and I understand I can run Leopard with the
> processor upgrade, are there any special tricks that need to be done
> before this will work?  Any advice appreciated.

The processor is slightly harder to replace than in a beige G3, but
not much. To remove the current one, you take 2 clips off to remove
the heatsink, then the processor card is attached with 3 phillips
screws. I am not certain about the Newer card, but the screws that
hold the heat sink to the processor card can be a little difficult
for the fumble fingered on some cards.

While you have the case open, it would be a good time to blow all the
dust bunnies out of the fans and case and check the fans for proper
operation. You should be fine with 2 HD and a single 1.6GHz
processor. I have a dual 1.2GHz and 4 HD in my home DA and I would
get frequent hard system freezes that would only be recoverable from
by a hard restart with the power button. After futzing around trying
to diagnose it, I left the case open and lo and behold, no more
crashes. Therefore: overheating issues in my DA.

I would use the faster hard drive for the boot volume if possible,
but the difference between an 80 and 120 is likely pretty small.

No hacks needed to run Leopard, it will see a faster than 867MHz
processor and install away. Just be aware that with Leopard, you lose
the ability to run any classic apps (but you can still boot into 9 if
needed).

The next upgrade I would get as soon as possible is a core image
video card like the 9600. An upgraded video card will really make the
interface snappy.

Len