Hi All...

I've been using some USB drives (Flash and "Real" Hard Discs) and
something caught my attention. In disc utility a USB drive has 2
entries... the first shows the drive with the manufacturer's name
ie... Hitachi and it has a MS-DOS FAT Volume Format, the second entry
seems to be like a partition that can have any format. The disc
utility entry for the drive looks like this... (Missing the drive
icons and comments, of course!)

18.6 GB HITACHI_DK23CA-20 Media <-Can't erase
        USB Portable <- Can erase

When I try to erase the actual drive, the top level, it never works...
reverting to MS-DOS FAT. I can format the "partition" to anything Disc
utility has to offer.

Is this normal? It's no big thing... just trying to understand the
nature of the beast! :-)

Amanda