On Nov 5, 2008, at 12:14 PM, Wilton Shaw wrote:

>>>     I made the smaller portion a full 80 GB. The used area is 38.53 GB
>>> and the free area is 41.47 GB, which adds up to 80 GB. The message
>>> I got said I needed 42.4 so the Time Machine wouldn't work. I think
>>> 41.47 GB is plenty of space to make a few upgrades.

Why do you have time machine set on the smaller volume?

The scheme is:

Large drive:

80G partition: bootable backup partition, regularly clone system drive
here, using SuperDuper or CCC.

179G partition: Use for Time machine.

Time Machine stores an ongoing incremental backup of your stuff,
including things you deleted, so you can always restore to a point in
time anywhere between the initial backup and the last backup.

This means it will require a larger drive (depending on how much file
churn you have on your system) a MUCH larger drive than the volume
you're backing up.

If the 179G partition is complaining it's out of space, then you need
a larger hard drive, or you need to reconsider using Time Machine.

If your system is one where you routinely work on a bunch of large
projects that you move to your computer and then delete, making room
for the next large project, Time Machine is going to require a very
large volume, or Time Machine isn't actually a good solution for you.

You can exclude folders in Time Machine's prefs, so if you constantly
churn large work files on and off your disk that are adequately backed
up on other media (such as video raw footage and final DVD's) you can
store that material in a folder you exclude from Time Machine.

I exclude my Mail folders form TM because I have an IMAP mail
service...getting all my mail back is a simple matter of setting up
the account. So I don't back it up, which eliminates a huge area of
file churn that would rapidly eat away at Time Machine's space.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona