On Nov 13, 2008, at 11:18 PM, Brian Christmas wrote:

> G'day listers
>
> I recently had cause to restore my 10.5.5 system from Time Machine. In
> doing so it didn't restore my user scripts stored on the boot library/
> scripts/folder action scripts. Turned out they were saved, just not
> restored.
>
> I reported as a bug, but now apple want a log, with no directions on
> how to find said log.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to locate it please (no,spotlight doesn't work)
>
> "This is a courtesy email regarding Bug ID# 6267014. Engineering has
> requested the following information in order to further investigate
> this issue:
>
> If this is reproducible, please upload a /var/log/install.log to this
> report."

/var/log is part of the infamous Unix Underbelly parts of OS X.

This is the standard place for Unix system applications to save their
log files.

To navigate here in the Finder, select Go> Go to folder and enter /var/
log in the box (remember /'s mean folder boundaries in Unix speak, /
var/log is the folder log inside the folder var at the very top level
of the system (which is normally hidden from the Finder).)

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona