At 4:57 PM -0800 11/28/2008, Ray wrote:
>Another odd thing about iTunes is why the default is set to "Copy
>files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library". Every person's
>Mac that I have looked at has duplicate songs because of this
>default. Why would you want this fault anyway?

Because the opposite setting, having iTunes delete things when it
thinks it's ok, is too horrible to imagine.

I don't trust apps like iTunes (or iPhoto) to manage my collection
permanently, ever.  I went to great efforts (time, money) to collect
my stuff.  If iTunes wants to fool with it, fine - fool with a
*copy*.  Leave my original ALONE.  I don't want some foo update from
Apple to hoze me.  Ever.  That's why. :)

Another reason for the copy ...  You can set iTunes to import into
other formats.  That's nice.  You end up with our original elsewhere
and a converted pile'o'data within iTunes.  If you discover the
conversion didn't go well, you still have your *untouched* original
and can simply trash what's in iTunes...

Went thru this today with an irreplaceable mp3 audiobook.  To make
iTunes recognize it as an audiobook (so it will remember track
locations etc), you have to first convert the mp3 files to AAC.  THEN
you have to *manually* change their file extensions from .m4a to
.m4b.  THEN you have to re-add them to your iTunes library.  What a
PITA!  And, as I quickly discovered, some of the default settings,
which would perhaps be ok for musik, caused the simple mp3 files to
BLOAT into a mess that sounded awful and took 3x more storage on the
HD.

FWIW,
- Dan.
    (Going nutz grabbing the DLing the podcasts from 'KEXP Song of the Day")
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth