I was having a search issue where I wasn't getting complete search
results in Mail.app. In a Mail search the "entire message" search
field was dimmed and non-functional. It was not obvious this was a
Spotlight issue, so I wasted a lot of time and effort on trashing Mail
preferences, and rebuilding Mailboxes, and other things within
Mail.app when the problem was really a Spotlight issue. When I
eventually figure this out and tried to reindex Spotlight using a
Terminal command, I got an error message. Evidently my Spotlight was
disabled somehow? I figured out how to re-enable it, and then
reindexed, and all was fine.

Needless to say, this process of troubleshooting was longer than I'd
like to admit. In the interim, I installed Google Desktop Search as a
replacement for my crippled Mail.app/Spotlight search. After I
repaired Spotlight, I decided to test these two search apps head-to-
head.

I selected three rather obscure terms that I knew had many hits, and
searched in both. To my surprise, Google came up short on all three.
But when I compared the results, the only thing missing was most of
the Safari Web History link hits, which to me weren't that important.
In each search, Google did report finding one or two Safari History
hits, but Spotlight was finding 10 or 20. I'm slightly baffled at why
one specific type of file would be under-represented in my tests? The
results for emails, files, folders, etc. was all otherwise identical
for both.

I've barely used Google Desktop, but it searches very fast, and gets
nearly identical results as Spotlight. I think the results are easier
to browse than Spotlight. I know people have complained of the
overhead for Spotlight. My results indicate that if you're having
Spotlight issues, you might consider disabling Spotlight completely
and using Google Desktop Search instead. Google is fast, and seems to
work well. I'm slightly baffled at why one specific type of file would
be under-represented in my tests.