Clark writes,

<What you described is true, those apps are Classic.

But Carbon Apps can run with Classic or native.  There is supposed to be
a way to make them run in Classic but I don't recall how off hand.
Apparently you switched AppleWorks to run in Classic.  Try doing a Get
Info on the application and see if there is an option to use Classic vs
Native.  I tried it but found nothing.>

Yes, Get Info tells me it's for both OS 9 and OS X. OK.....

<The way to tell is what kind of "Apple" you have on the left side of the
menu bar.  The old multi-colored Apple means you are running Classic.
The blue Apple means you are running Native.>

OK yeah. I opened an AW 6 file and saw the blue apple, even with Classic
on. I had to turn Classic back on after my little experiment because my
email program is apparently not Carbonized. And since I'm obviously using
my emailer right now, yeah, I see the multicolored apple (and my OS 9
customized menu fonts...gosh I wish I could do that in OS X).

Bruce writes,

<If you started Appleworks from within Classic (for example, via the
Apple menu), it's running in OS 9 mode, and will quit if you quit
Classic.

In OS X go to Applications and double-click on Appleworks it should
start right up.>

Hmmmm. When I did my little experiment yesterday and shut Classic off,
much to my surprise, AW 6's litte "on arrow" stayed on in the Dock
(though my emailer's quit) -- even though I could have sworn that time
when I shut Classic off a year or so ago, it had quit. But back to
yesterday: Classic still off, AW 6 still rebooted (from the Dock). BUT....

I don't keep my AW 6 application in the OS X Applications folder. I never
did. It's not even on the G4's OS X hard drive. I've been using AW 6
since my total OS 9 days on my old G3 Beige DT -- when I got my G4
Quicksilver (which came with Tiger 10.4.7 installed on its 60 GB HD), I
had that OS 9 HD -- which had all my stuff on it -- taken out of the
Beige and put in the Quicksilver -- and some of my apps which did, and
still live on that HD -- the ones I use a lot -- once up on OS X I put
their icons in the Dock for easy access. But the original app files for
all my OS 9 (and earlier) applications still live on what was once my
Beige's HD. My OS X Applications folder only has the applications which
came with OS X, plus the small number of new OS X native apps I got
afterwards.

Just now I went to look at the original AW 6 application in that HD. I
found it and noticed it says AppleWorks 6.app. I find this kind of
strange because the .app suffix is something I only know from OS X, but
I've had AW 6 for longer than I've had OS X.

Well...OK, it's cool -- and I'm glad I found out that AW 6 will run with
or without Classic.

~Yersinia.

________

"Some mornings it's not worth chewing through the leather straps." -- Emo
Phillips