At 4:00 AM -0600 12/1/2008, Kris Tilford wrote:
>On Nov 30, 2008, at 4:54 PM, Dan wrote:
>  > From a podcast, I have some nice mp3 tracks.  How do I move them from
>>  the podcast category to the regular Music area?  I don't when to get
>>  lost, when I dump the podcast.
>>
>>  I tried doing an "add" on the mp3 file itself, after removing it from
>  > the podcast, but it Knew.  So it reappeared in the podcast....

Found it.  There are ID tags within the file that make it smell
podcastish.  I used musorg.app to delete those fields, then the
tracks added as music to iTunes.

>These types are: .mp3, .m4a, and .m4b. I believe that normal music
>is .mp3, while podcasts are .m4a, and audiobooks are .m4b.

MP3 is MPEG-1 Layer 3.
M4A is MPEG-4 AAC.
M4B is MPEG-4 AAC, used by Apple to mean Audiobook.

(as far as I can tell ?so far? there is no encoding diff between m4a and m4b).

>One of the big differences in these file types is how they handle a "Stop"
>command. The .mp3 will stop normally, and upon next play start at the
>beginning of the track. I believe both the .m4a & .m4b work under the
>assumption that the track is only to be listened to once, and if you
>use a "stop" command, upon the next launch they will resume at exactly
>the same point you previously stopped at. This is really handy for
>both of these file types.

This isn't a function of file type (codec/format).  On it's face,
it's music vs audiobook classification default in iTunes.  Music
tracks always start at the beginning.  iTunes keeps track of where
you were in  Audiobook tracks.  Really, what's happening is that
there's a flag (see the track's get info window) you can set that
tells iTunes to remember or not.

>I don't believe there is an easy way to remove DRM from tracks on Macs

I guess Apple's "legit method" is to burn the tracks to a normal
(AIFF) audio CD then to rip it back in.  Blech.  That has the
potential of loosing quality.  Yet-another reason to stay away from
DRM garbage.

(I'll gander at Audio Hijack Pro shortly; looks interesting!)

Right now, I'm going nutz adding stuff to my library.  Guess I'm
starting to trust iTunes more...

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth