On Dec 1, 2008, at 4:11 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

>> What is the limit on hard drive size for a PPC Mac.  I have a
>> Sawtooth
>> running 10.4.11.  Thanks, Dennis in Victoria
>
> Native on the built-in ATA bus is 128 gb, but there is a high-capacity
> driver available that will get around this. If you stick in an ATA or
> SATA controller card there's no limit.

Native up to and including QS 2001 is 131,072 MB.

Native for QS2002 and later is unlimited.

With the High-Cap kext, this can be extended to unlimited for most
early G4 models and late G3 models (known not to work with 10.5.x).

With the LBA48 property work-around, this can be extended to
unlimited for most early G4 models (works perfectly on my DA, and
probably works perfectly on all AGP G4s).

Native for ATA to 100 is also 131,072, but there are no workarounds.

Native for all ATA/133 and the few ATA/100 cards for which there is a
released update is unlimited.

Native for SATA is unlimited.

Native for early 1394 cases (with or without USB 2.0) is 131,072 MB.

Native for later 1394 cases (with or without USB 2.0) is unlimited.