Bruce,
I took your advice with an additional bit of info from a link to an
Apple document about blue screen freezes and OS 10.5. I'm pleased to
say things seem fine now. All the hardware checked out fine (woo-hoo!)
and a fresh "Archive and Install" version of the OS seemed to have
removed the freezing tendencies. Thanks for your help.
Bill