GREETINGS!

The unthinkable has happened; my home was burglarized and my OWC
mercury elite was stolen. This was an eye opening event that has
really put the fear of God into me; I had thought with two internals
and an external I'd be safe! Fortunately my MDD and monitor were
tethered together to the desk with a kensington cable lock - or the
SOB's would have gotten the computer too - and more importantly ALL my
data since I started computing 10 years ago .... records, every
digital photo I've taken - about 20,000, etc.
Now I realize it's not enough; I can't afford it, but now I'm going to
buy TWO drives and keep one out of the house as many others do.

Questions: Should I buy RAID1 units? I know Absolutely Nothing about
RAID; ditto for Time Machine. My {simpleton} thinking is that with two
drives, a RAID1 unit will give me twice the backup security; is this
correct? For about the same prices, I'm contemplating two 1TB Quad
Mercury Elites
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MEAQ7H1TB32M/
- or -  two FW400/800/USB 500GB Guardian Maximus RAID units from OWC:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/GM8U27500G32/ which
are "hardware" based RAID; this is preferred over software RAID? {I
know they have excellent reviews} I'm not looking for speed - just
extra security. I never seem to hear of any home users using RAID1 for
their back up; what's the reason for this; doesn't a RAID1 unit
constantly update your backup over two drives as you are using the
computer? Does it need to run all the time? Can you boot from a RAID
HDD, and where does Time machine fit into all this - and do most of
you even use it? I've read some people really dislike it. I'm
overwhelmed with everything I read on the subject.

When swapping drives weekly, what is the procedure to update the
freshly swapped drive? Would the process be easier with a RAID each
week? I have CCC and Prosoft DataBackup. Can an external drive safely
be kept in a weathertight {detached!} garage during the week it's not
in use in the NY winter?
ANY and ALL input on the subject of Back Up - and suggestions about
these particular drives - is GREATLY appreciated!
Sorry to go on so much - but I really need to understand my options -
and quick. This was too close of a call!

Many Thanks,

chris in ny