At 2:03 PM -0600 12/8/2008, Michael McMurtrey wrote:
>iMac running Tiger (10.4.11)

Which model iMac?

>"My beloved computer is having some problems. If I shut down and
>leave it all night, it doesn't want to boot  the next day. I have to
>restart it several times before it will come up.

Depending on the age of the iMac, this sounds like the PRAM Battery
(aka Backup Battery) has died.

>It does come on but the screen has shadows around everything or it
>stays black. Sometimes it looks like it is up, but there are little
>pieces of screen showing through stuff, like holes in the desktop.
>And then it will tell me I need to restart if I try to open
>anything. ????????"

That worries me.  It's starting to sound like a power supply or memory problem.

Either way... it's hardware.  It might be time for your cousin to
find a repair shop...

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth