I have a DSL modem linked to a wireless G router (plus a PB G4 and a
laser printer) on one floor of the house, and, on another floor of the
house, in another workspace, a second PB G4 (which receives connection
to the first floor PB, printer and internet through the downstairs
wireless router's broadcast signals), as well as another (as yet,
unconnected) laser printer on the second floor of the house near the
second PB.

Until now, I've been connecting wirelessly to to the internet, first
PB and printer, but doing all my printing on the downstairs printer,
and constantly running up and down stairs to retrieve my printed
documents. I've acquired the second printer in an attempt to have the
option of having a local printer near the upstairs PB. Also, I have a
scanner I'd like to be able to use in the upper location.

Here is where the problem begins.

In trying to get the upstairs printer connected to the upstairs PB, it
seems that I can only accomplish this by disconnecting from the
upstairs PB's internal Airport card wireless connection with the
wireless network, and reconnecting the AppleTalk of the PB to any of
the following: Ethernet, internal modem, USB, or Firewire. Actually, I
don't remember whether all these options are available, but the main
point is, that I don't seem to be able to be simultaneously connected
to both the wireless network and to the upstairs printer on a hard-
wired (ethernet) basis. The seeming necessity of first disconnecting
AppleTalk from the wireless (and losing connection to the downstairs
setup, including the internet; then switching AppleTalk to pay
attention to the Ethernet (my probable choice), then hooking up an
Ethernet cable connection to the upstairs printer and/or scanner, each
and every time I'd like to either access the internet and/or
downstairs printer, and back and forth, and back and forth - has my
head spinning.

I believe there must be some easier way.

I imagine I'm missing some key piece of information here. I'm running
OS 10.5.6 on the upstairs PB, and 10.4.11 on the downstairs one.
Although possible, I could drill through the old plaster and cement
over wood lath walls and stairwell, closets and rooms in a circuitous
(and very messy) path between the two locations to run an ethernet
cable perhaps 125 feet from the downstairs wireless router to the
upstairs (to either the ethernet port on the upstairs PB, or to an
ethernet switch, or to another wireless-G router, or to a wireless-G
access point (for which I'm not sure I can obtain proper Macintosh
drivers - it's a FON Movimiento Model FON2100A/B/C), or first to the
ethernet switch and then to the access point; or possibly another
combination: Yikes! I believe you get the idea. I haven't any idea how
to make this work, and imagine there may be a straightforward way of
achieving this.

Alternatively, if you feel I have no other choice than to run the
ethernet cable between the two locations, what way should I hook up
whichever components are needed to do the job upstairs, to enable me
to both access the internet (wirelessly, as I have been, to the
downstairs router; or through the ethernet connection - as well as to
be able to simultaneously utilize the upstairs computer, printer and/
or scanner?

Or, maybe I should connect an internet switch to the DSL modem, with
an ethernet cable to the downstairs PB & printer, and another internet
cable through the circuitous maze of the walls to the upstairs
workspace, where I would then install one of the wireless-G routers.
Another possibility is an ethernet cable from the downstairs wireless
router to the the second wireless router upstairs, to which I can
directly, by ethernet, connect the upstairs printer and the scanner,
and connect to the upstairs PB wirelessly through the PB's Airport.
This possible solution, I assume, requires one DSL output being able
to simultaneously be connected to two different (but fairly nearby)
wireless routers, without causing confusion.

If you've read this far, I'm sure you see that I don't know enough to
sort this out, so I'm hoping you can help!

Thanks so much!

All the best,
stanton