________________________________
From: jonas ulrich <jonasulrich3...@gmail.com>
To: g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
Sent: Monday, 29 December, 2008 8:16:15 PM
Subject: Re: FireWire 800 MDD chimes but won't start up.

This happened to me just the other day on my DP500MHZ. I unplugged it and
plugged it back in and it worked.
-Jonas

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Kris Tilford <ktilfo...@cox.net> wrote:

On Dec 27, 2008, at 10:51 AM, Aaron wrote:

> My FireWire 800 MDD chimes once when I try to start it, and
> generally powers up, but does nothing else. The monitor stays black,
> the little light on the monitor stays amber, and, if I hold down
> command-option-P-R or command-option-O-F, nothing happens either.
>

> Any suggestions as to what might be wrong? Power supply?

These symptoms are identical to my G5 when the power supply blew.
Luckily for me, this was a known defect of certain G5's and covered by
Apple under a special extended warranty, otherwise it would have been
an $800+ repair. I found a pinout for the power supply and used a
multimeter to test the lines. In my case, about half were dead. I'd
bet a MDD power supply is really expensive if that's the case, you
might want to see about adapting a PC power supply?

You can find some good info about testing the MDD power supply and a
pinout diagram, etc. here:
<http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1117298>

On a simpler note, these are exactly the symptoms you get when the mobo battery
(half-AA 3.6v Lithium) needs replacing.

It might not be the answer, but at around £5 - maybe US$8 - it's worth a try.

Ted