> Although I have been using Mac for years, I am not expert enough to
> know what kind of g4 (I think) I now have. The :About this Mac" specs
> are as follows:
>
> Hardware Overview:
>
>  Machine Name:        Power Mac G4
>  Machine Model:       PowerMac3,3
>  CPU Type:    PowerPC G4  (2.8)
>  Number Of CPUs:      1
>  CPU Speed:   450 MHz
>  L2 Cache (per CPU):  1 MB
>  Memory:      512 MB
>  Bus Speed:   100 MHz
>  Boot ROM Version:    4.2.8f1
>  Serial Number:
>
> I am using Mac OS X 4.11, and have great fears about trying to use
> some Classic Mac applications, as in the past, when i was upgrading my
> old g3 (blue and white0 I ran into serious problems, resulting in my
> purchase of this g4. It is running well, and i can print on my
> LaserWriter 16/600 PS printer (it shows up as "Unknown" in theprinter
> dialogue but I had a lot of trouble getting it to run on a parallel to
> USB cable).
>
> I am loath to upgrade to OS X 5,? since this is currently running
> well.
>
> Any comments on the machine (what is it: Sawtooth? Yikes? or whatever?
> and whether I should buy OS X 5.??
>
> Thanks
>
> Murray Woods

Murray,

I'm guessing that you've got a Sawtooth. And while I think it is
possible to install Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard" on your computer, it would
take a hack, and performance would certainly not be better than what
you're getting with Tiger. My advice is to stick with what you've got.
Leopard, in my experience, actually slows down "older" macs.

HTH,

Isaac