On Dec 29, 2008, at 1:45 AM, Dan wrote:

> At 12:45 AM -0500 12/29/2008, Anne Keller-Smith wrote:
>> G4 Quicksilver 733mHz Tower
>> 896 MB RAM, 40 GB hard drive, OS 10.4.11
>>
>> Just got and installed a RAM stick from OWC and it makes the Mac run
>> like a Dream. However,
>
> After installing the stick, did you run any diagnostics - AHT or
> Memtest?
>
>> Firefox and Dreamweaver keep quitting unexpectedly, behavior unknown
>> before the install.
>
> What is the exact error message?
>
> When the app crashes, what does it say about it in system log?  in
> console log?  in the app's crash log?
>
> ...IOW, typical memory related failures don't just happen quietly.
> When the system detects the errors, it spews all over the logs...
>
> If you're worried about the stick, run Memtest overnight.
>
> Memtest is included with AppleJack, as an install option...

Thanks Dan, Wallace, McGrude ~

Yanked the stick, put old one back in, Mac worked fine for several
days. Just reinstalled the stick, made sure well seated, made sure no
dust with newly purchased air can.

In two minutes, Firefox crashed yet again.

D/l and ran Applejack Memtest, it said FAILURE many times, but I
can't find the Applejack.log. Would like to read the specifics. Where
is it?

Also found ye olde Apple Hardware Test and that said Error Code mem_/
2/4.

Did not yet zap the pram, etc. because things be fine with the old chip.

Did not do the Qtip with Isopropyl Alcohol yet (what is this, a
Ninendo64?) but if you guys think I should do it, okay.

Somehow I think it is contacting all right, or the Tests would have
remarked absence, but what do I know.

Is it time to contact OWC for a replacement or is there something
else to do? Oh, right, look in System logs.

But are the two failures in the memory hardware tests definitive?

Thanks and Happy New Year,

Anne Keller Smith
Down to Earth Web Design

G4 Quicksilver 733mHz Tower
896 MB RAM, 40 GB hard drive, OS 10.4.11

Intel iMac 2.4gHz Core 2 Duo
1GB RAM, 250GB Hard Drive, OS 10.5.5

mailto:earth...@ptd.net
http://www.downtoearthweb.com