On 1/4/09 6:25 PM, Andy of andy.the...@gmail.com sent

>>> A very good question and the answer is you can't.  At least without
>>> downloading a sound editor or other recording software.  Audacity comes to
>>> mind as adequate and free.  Not sure how Windows got that over OS X, but
>>> they have always included a simple sound recorder app.  HTH
>>>
>>> Just a message from Doug...
>>>

>> Hello Doug,
>> You¹ll need one of any of a number of good, cheap (free) recording apps, like
>> Audacity, Amadeus, or Audio Hijack (for ex.). These will know what your
>> default input device is once booted up, and you¹re good to go.
>> HTH,
>> Dana
>>

>> ...or you could launch QuickTime Player and choose file>new audio recording
>> then click the red button when your ready. Very basic audio and I think you
>> need to have QuickTime pro.
>>
>> Andy
Hi Andy,
Yes, QT Pro is needed, good investment for $29.99; of course, if you have
little or no $$, then Audacity or comparable is the way to go. Note to James
(original poster): QT will save your audio as uncompressed (44.1K) AIFF
audio (despite the .MOV suffix) - simply use iTunes to convert to MP3 if
that is your target format.
Best regards,
Dana