At 4:34 PM -0500 1/5/2009, John Callahan wrote:
>It seems from this excellent interchange that for long term storage
>tape is the longest lasting.

yes, but... The tape market is undergoing big changes, format,
interface etc.  I think the built-in obsolescence is very limiting.
At least in the DVD market, backwards compatibility will let you read
the discs for years to come.

>What is the life of 35 mm slides?

I've got some taken in the late 1960s that still look sharp/crisp
with good color.

>I have some ten thousand of them that I have been scanning and
>burning to discs. Upsetting to learn of the failure of disc storage.

Multiple copies / backups.  Burned DVDs and HDs, kept in different locations.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth