On 1/11/09 9:20 PM, "Steve R" <mailing.lists.2...@gmail.com> Broadcast into
the ether:

> I was on some sites searching out RAM for my neighbour's iMac less
> than two weeks ago and we were both pleased with the Canadian prices
> we were able to find. Tonight I went looking for RAM for my iMac
> (different specs from his) and the prices have gone through the roof
> -- well over $300 for the same 4GB of RAM that was less than $60. I
> hit several more sites, including US sites, and everyone's RAM prices
> are totally out of line with the prices being quoted on OWC. ($44 for
> 4GB vs that high $300)
>
> So what gives? Is there an embargo somewhere? A fire at a
> manufacturing plant? Or is it simple price gouging with seasonal gift
> recipients upgrading new computers?

RAM manufacturers frequently move forward.  By that I mean that if you order
DDR2-3 it will be less expensive then PC-133 in most cases.  There is like a
RAM curve.  Where cutting edge machines RAM cost a little bit more then
machines out 3 months ago...machines a year old cost a little more than
machines from 3 months ago and RAM from machines 2 years back costs a
fortune because it isn't being made anymore.  It's a common thing, where
people think that RAM for a machine 4 years old should be really cheap, but
they fail to realize that the industry has moved ahead and the supply is
low.

My question would be, is your machine a generation older or newer than your
buddies?

Kyle Hansen
--
This is the way the world ends...not with a bang, but a twitter.