PeterH wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2009, at 10:49 AM, Kris Tilford wrote:
>
>>> The RAM is easy to find as it is standard PC RAM from back in the 386
>>> and 486 days, when every PC supported parity, but the parity could be
>>> turned off in many PCs.
>> No. The HP parity RAM was different in the LJ4/4M. Normal PC parity
>> RAM (9 chip RAM) could be used, but it required modification by
>> soldering.
>
> The PS card in my 4M is:
>
> C2080-60001 Rev. B
>
> The four ROM chips are:
>
> 1818-5437
> 1818-5438
> 1818-5439
> 1818-5440
>
> Copyright:
>
> © 1992 HP-Boise
>
> © 1984-1992 Adobe
>
> © 1981 Linotype AG
>
> No RAM on the PS card itself. Of course, the printer has RAM. 2 MB, I
> think.
>

> Added RAM cards:
>
> Three standard 4 MB with parity cards NEC MC-421000A36BH-80. Eight
> 424400 chips (data) and four 421000 chips (parity). All 80 ns.
>
> I believe the RAM cards were "pulls" from surplus MYLEX DAC960PL RAID
> cards.

My memory is a bit foggy, but I believe the old HP
4M (M = Macintosh compatible) has a real Adobe Postscript
ROM on the added LocalTalk card. We used ours in a
network with Macs running System 7, PC's running
NT and WFW 3.1, and Sun Solaris. The Suns used
Postscript too, and they absolutely loved the
Laserwriters and worked really well with the 4M.

Stephen