At 10:33 AM -0600 2/9/2009, joe wrote:
>>Yea.  Most of the crashes are due to Flash.  You can tell easily, if
>>you look at the crash log.  The thread marked as crashed will have
>>all sorts of references to "adobe" and "flash" in it.
>>
>>There is no total solution, other than just blocking all flash
>>content.  Flash is a horrible horrible horrible POS.
>>
>>See the thread "Flash in the pan ... aka dealing with Adobe Flash"
>>from October.  It details how to deal with Flash, etc.
>
>  I don't think Flash itself is so evil.

Flash is evil.

0) It's poorly designed, so it uses much more cpu than it really needs.

1) It's incredibly buggy, and Adobe can't be bothered to fix it.

2) Adobe makes $$$ from all this commercial ad flash use.

Back in the day, before Adobe inhaled Macromedia, Flash was decent
and improving with every release.  Adobe changed all that.  IMO,
intentionally.

>(Is it just Mac browsers that have this problem, or do browsers in
>other OSs disagree with Flash too?)

Flash is the cause of browser crashes on all platforms.  heh.  It can
BSOD Windoze.

>I tried for a little while using a css ad blocker.  That actually
>seemed to work, except that it blocked a lot of good content too.
> I'd love a solution that blocks flash but give you the option to
>load it (maybe shows a little box or something).  Or better yet, one
>that can handle flash without getting all crashy.

See the "Cool plugin" thread on the G-Books LEM list.  Great
discussion re clicktoflash.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth