On Feb 14, 2009, at 5:07 PM, James E. Therrault wrote:

> Gigabyte G4s have four slots that can accommodate four 512KB Dimms.
> Later models only had three slots.  A definite step backwards by
> Apple IMO.

It's GIGA-BIT.

Giga-BYTE is the manufacturer of Intel-based motherboards which make,
perhaps the very most compatible Hackintoshes. (Ask me how I know ...
offline).

OK, the reason for the differences between the Giga-BIT E-net and the
DAs (and QSes) are these:

1) Giga-BIT: four RAM slots, with 512 MB, max, for each slot,
PROVIDED the RAM is density, and three PCI slots plus the one AGP
slot, and

2) DA and QS: three RAM slots (same density requirement), and four
PCI slots, plus the one AGP slot.

It all comes down the bus loading, and by changing from 4 (RAM) + 3
(PCI) + 1 (AGP) to 3 (RAM) + 4 (PCI) + 1 (AGP) the loading on the
"Grand Central" chip stays the same ... eight loads, total.