Also, if it's running any version of OS 9, any custom picture can be
placed in the startup window, so I would trust the system profiler. If
it's grey and a dark blue-grey color, then it's probably a G4, with a
misleading startup graphic, and if it's bright blue with milky white
plastic, then it's probably what Peter said, I had one of those that
was upgraded to a 450Mhz G4.
If it's running OS X, however... it shouldn't be saying anything when
it starts up but the Progress bar.

     -Cyrus