At 11:32 PM -0500 2/26/09, Dan posted:
>  At 2:42 PM -0800 2/26/2009, Scott Fiore wrote:
>>own a Motorola Surfboard 5220 modem (about 1 1/2 years old) that I
>>connect to my Airport Express.  I received a call from my internet
>>provider this morning notifying me that because this modem is being
>>discontinued by Motorola, it will soon stop working and I will need to
>>buy or rent a new modem.  Does this sound right?
>
>  yes, and no.  And welcome to the quandry posed by owning your own
>  telecom gear instead of renting...
>
>  Due to the way cable modems work, the ones on a provider's network
>  *must* be fully supported by their CMTS (head end router).  I think
>  you'll find that your ToS states that they can tell you what make &
>  model modems are permitted.
>
>  That being said... It's baloney that the modem is going to stop
>  working just because Motorola is discontinuing that model.  Total
>  baloney.  The truth is that the cable company simply no longer wants
>  to support that model, so they're going to unprovision them (shut
>  them down intentionally).  Why?  Two main reasons:  1) Evil company
>  etc.  2) They're upgrading to DOCSIS 3.0, and your modem doesn't
>  support that faster protocol.

You could try googling to see if there are any hacks available to
reprogramme your modem to your ISP's new settings. Problem being, you
need the new settings (a friend or neighbour on the same ISP after
the changeover could find those settings for you) and you'd be
offline after the changeover until you were able to make the changes.
There's no guarantee a hack would work or be accepted by your ISP's
line but it might be worth a try.

When I changed ISPs, my old ISP modem was wireless and 4-port. The
new ISP modem was the same, with three ports and wireless disabled.
Google gave me several hits on how to hack the new modem -- I
declined the risk because I had an unused router that could serve the
same functions. A neighbour also changed ISPs and did hack his new
ISP modem, which has been working fine with the 4 ports and wireless
for more than a year. (He has more money than me to replace the modem
if he messed up.)

Steve R