From: Yersinia <yersi...@cybernex.net>
Subject: Re: Firewire hard drives not mounting
To: "G-List" <g3-5-list@googlegroups.com>
Date: Monday, March 2, 2009, 8:05 AM

Mmmmm-hmmmmmm.....been following this one quietly, now going to add....

Over the Christmas holiday weekend while my BF was here, I shut down my
G4 867 Quicksilver and my USB/Firewire external HD (40 GB drive in a
LaCie enclosure), so he could put the original NVIDIA GeForce2 MX video
card back in and hook up a second monitor on it (not to mention a major
area cleanup-desk reorganization and reworking the "spaghetti").
While
all that was successful, when it was all done and I powered everything
back up, the external HD, which had always been Firewired to the G4,
"disappeared."  That is, it didn't show up on the desktop, and
the G4
didn't know it was there in either Disk Utility or ASP).

Important Note -- Immediately prior to shutting down and starting this, I
had updated my backups to the external HD over Firewire, and all was well
with it. This sounds like the OP's issue -- his FW drive was working fine
until he shut down, but when rebooting, he lost it, which is why this
thread got my attention.

Second Important Note -- Although the Firewire is down on this drive, the
drive comes up perfectly well with USB -- on the desktop, in Disk Utility
and in ASP -- so I can still use it even though USB is suboptimal
compared to the Firewire -- and is completely usable as well as visible
on the desktop.

Firewire Experiment after USB showed that the HD itself was good and I
could still make backups and transfer data albeit horribly slowly:

I only had the one FW cable, so we tried switching FW ports in the G4. No
go -- it didn't matter which port we used; the drive only showed up when
we plugged it back in with USB. My BF said this meant it could be a
problem with either the cable OR the FW port on the external drive case.
He said he'd take my cable home and test it on his system (he also has an
external USB/Firewire drive), and if it failed, next time he came down,
he'd bring another FW cable (a known working good), and we'd try it on
mine, but this time, he said, if it didn't work, it would mean the FW
port on my enclosure was bad.

Alas, I didn't even THINK to try my FW cable with the iBook (and my brain
death gets even worse!), but it seems my cable was bad anyway at his
house. Sooo, for his next visit...

He showed up over Valentine's weekend with a working FW cable he had just
used himself on his own equipment and, just in case, a four port USB hub.
No go on the FW with my machine, in either port -- which means I have no
more Firewire unless or until I get another enclosure. And the worse part
of the brain death - AGAIN it didn't occur to me to think of the iBook.
If only I had, it wouldn't have taken me two days and two nights to do a
massive data transfer to the iBook totally with USB flash drives. I'd
have done my iBook nuke-and-pave while he was here with the good FW cable
and moved all the stuff into the iBook straight out of the G4 with FW
Target Disk Mode!  Thank goodness for the USB hub though -- at least now
I can have my external HD and BOTH flash drives plugged in simultaneously
when needed. That helps a little anyway...

But anyway -- how in the heck is it possible that just shutting down
could have killed the FW port in my enclosure? I never dropped my
external HD or spilled anything on it and when I used to move data from
it into the iBook, I would simply unplug the end that was in the G4's FW
port and plug it into the iBook's FW port...so other than the initial
plugging in (first week of Aug 2007 when I got it), I had never even
touched the enclosure's FW port! Even when we disconnected it from the G4
after the shutdown (to be able to rearrange the area and get inside the
G4 to make it run the second monitor), we did it from the G4's end.

~Yersinia.

________

"Never accept a drink from a urologist."