On Mar 6, 2009, at 12:23 PM, Dan wrote:

> hum.  Ok.  Chalk that one up to bad site.
>
> Next - hotmail.com
>
> Most of the links in hotmail don't work in Safari 4, until you
> change the agent to report that it's not Safari on a Mac.  Then they
> work fine.

Someone smart should make an intelligent user-agent switcher, so we
can peg certain sites as 'I have to pretend I'm X at this site'.

I always have been and remain blessedly hotmail free.

MANY things don't work until you tell the server you're not Safari.
Also lots of idiot sites that simply check the entire user agent
string against a list, instead of properly parsing the string will
either tell you that your browser isn't supported or that it's too
old, and you should update to Netscape 4 or newer.

I once spent a half-hour on the phone arguing with an IT "tech" at the
hospital who was absolutely convinced beyond any reason that their
Citrix app "...would NEVER EVER run on a Mac, no nope just not
possible Macs are strange voodoo unknown scary devices wooooooo!"

As I was looking at their application running just fine on a Macbook
running Safari set to ID itself as IE6 for Windows.

(The issue turned out, in the end, to be a broken entry in their
database, nothing to do with Citrix at all)

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona