On Mar 9, 2009, at 3:28 AM, Bill Christensen wrote:

> So the big question is:  what system bits do I need to copy into
> there to get it to show me a choice in the 1280 range?  Because this
> is a working server I'm not prone to a system reinstall - or as you
> can see by the fact that it's at 10.4.8, an upgrade.  It ain't *that*
> broke, so I don't want to do anything drastic and really break it.
> But I'm fine with doing a restart.

I'm not aware of any advantages of 10.4.8 over 10.4.11, and I can
think of a lot of disadvantages, such as tons of software that
requires 10.4.11 minimally. I'm guessing this means you've also not
installed any Apple Security Updates since Sept. 2006? If not, hit the
Software Update button and write us back after it completes.

> And to clarify, I'm only using one display on this machine.  I've got
> a switch on the display that allows me to see four different
> machines.  And my other LCD sees another four.

There was a lot of extraneous info in the first posting that would
lead most readers to believe this was a 2nd monitor. There was nothing
in any prior postings about this strange configuration, I assume some
sort of KVM switch? Have you tried a direct connection with the monitor?

> The current
> HD was originally installed in  B&W and that's where it got the OS
> installed.  When I got a newer, faster machine I did a "musical hard
> drives" and all the servers moved up a notch in speed.  This HD
> carried the problem over from a B&W.

Whenever you play "musical HDs" you need to trash the
System>Library>Extensions.kextcache and
System>Library>Extensions.mkext files. Alternately, you could also use
a utility such as Onyx to clean all the caches out, making sure to
check to check the box for "System" caches (normally NOT cleaned), but
when you change machines, the System caches NEED to be rebuilt from
scratch, hence, trashing the two files or using Onyx, etc.