On 13/3/09 13:54, "insightinmind" <billycarm...@verizon.net> wrote:

> In a similar vein ...
>
> I have a Dual 1GHz QS 2002 ... seems to be working fine ... just concerned
> about age.
>
> Would it be advisable to go on and remove the heatsink(s), clean the surfaces,
> and re-apply thermal grease? Sort of preventive maintenance?
>
> Or "if it ain't broke ... don't fix it" apply?

    I use quite a lot of this stuff - the 'grease' I use is Arctic Silver
Ceramique and the glue is Arctic Silver Alumina Thermal Chipset Adhesive -
the grease is for 'sprung' heatsinks - held with clips like a cpu or pins
and plungers in the case of graphics cards (which is mostly what I use it
for). The glue is for heatsinks/fans with no circuit board fastening and it
sets very hard - so it's not easy to get the heatsink off if you make a
pig's ear of the contact - but an hour in the freezer will make the job
easier.
    It's maybe advisable with secondhand graphics cards which run at high
speeds and temps - definitely advisable if you see artifacts of any kind or
experience video problems. I do gpu and memory solder reflows on old
graphics cards with problems and I remove the gpu and memory heatsinks as a
first step so I refurbish the cooling when I replace them - it will often
kill or cure problems which look terminal - I've just fixed two PC Radeon
9700 Pros and one 9800 Pro which all had terminal artifacts (I like to
recycle - call me green) and now they're mac cards - one of the 9700's has
vga out only and one has barely noticeable artifacts - the 9800 is perfect.
    Maybe not so advisable with motherboard processors unless they are
running at too high temps and giving problems - a temperature monitor is a
good utility to forewarn of heat problems - but I think there's quite a bit
of latitude with the G4s - not so much with the G5s.
    I would say don't do it unless it's necessary - if you've not done it
before there is the usual round of 'learners' mistakes to get through - and
some of those are very very terminal. I have already paid my dues and
terminated untold devices.....

Pete