My 400Mhz G3 won't complete its boot.  It seems to be going through
the process, albeit slowly, but then stops, with a message at the top
of the screen, which still has only the Apple logo, which says
something like, "half duplex disabled", and the system stops.
I acquired a couple of G3 boxes, neither of which has a hard drive,
but with assurances that the mainboards were functional.  After
installing one of these in my original box, the bootup proceeded
exactly the same, including the message when it stopped.
My thought now is that the hard drive is corrupted or has gone south
completely.  Is there a way to determine which has occurred, or would
it be better to just replace the drive and start over?  If that is the
case, how do I go about that?  I have OS 8.6 and Panther available,
but do I need more, like something to format or otherwise enable the
hard disk?
As you can tell, I am not at all familiar with the Mac system
requirements.
Any advice is welcome.  I really don't want to give up on this, as it
has become a challenge of wits, in which I am obviously at a severe
disadvantage, but I'd like to pull a Forrest on this and make it go
somehow.

Barrie