You may need to change the jumper setting and/or cable position on
your boot drive. The easiest way to see if this is the problem is to
put the old dead drive back in place, just as it was before. Your Mac
should boot normally and you will be able to use Disk Utility to check
the disk and permissions on yuor boot drive. When you remove the old
drive look carefully at the label on the boot drive. It will show you
the jumper configurations. With a single drive you want it on the end
of the cable with the jumpers set to "Master" or "Single Drive".
You still might be able to get the data off your old drive if you have
an external USB or Firewire adapter. The external power supply
sometimes gives a little more power than the Mac"s internal PSU, just
enought a get a borderline hard drive to spin up. No guarantees but it
has worked for me more than once.