On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Expat <ian.prick...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All
> I'm setting up a home server (Xserve G4) to act as my main server for
> data, itunes, web hosting and possibly mail etc. given the choice
> between OS X Server 10.4 and OS X Client 10.5 which would you choose?
> I really like the OS X server management tools as they make monitoring
> and administrating the server incredibly easy but 10.4 doesn't have
> Time machine , lack of budget is what's preventing me from choosing OS
> X Server 10.5.
> What do you think?

Don't waste your money on any version of OS X server. Instead use a
client version that you already have (or even better, something like
Debian for your server--OS X is much more suited for general desktop
use then server use). Using a repository like macports you can install
nongimped versions of Samba, Apache, Postfix, etc. Then you can use
the following instructions (ignore the comment about it being for OS X
server, it works fine on OS X client) to install Webmin which'll give
you a web based administration interface for all the services you want
to run on your server for free: http://www.webmin.com/osx.html. IMO
the only benefit of OS X server is the ability to define security
policies for macs in one central location as well as have a central
source for login authentication, everything else it provides can be
done for free without the purchase of a OS X server license. Since you
don't seem to want to do either of those things OS X server really
won't provide you any benefit.

--
Best Regards,

John Musbach