At 7:24 AM -0700 3/31/2009, MnDel wrote:
>  > I think you'll find that Firefox (and perhaps most browsers) simply
>>  choke on bookmark lists that big.  Probably best to do some serious
>>  weeding.  Think hundreds, not thousands.
>>
>>  An app such as BookDog or URL Manager Pro might be helpful.
>
>>  Try moving your massive bookmark file aside, then launching Firefox.
>  > If that fixes the problem then you'll know it's the your bookmarks.

>I tried using Spotlight

Much easier to drill down manually.

~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/

Then open the appropriate profile directory (I hate those random
names they use), and look therein for bookmarks.html

>I like the feature of Bookdog  to search out dead URL's, might just
>save up my pennies for their $20 fee.
>Know of any freeware that could do this?

Doesn't BookDog have a trial period?  Use it fix the problem, then go
back to managing things in Firefox.

>With the research my wife and I do in a dozen subjects - thousands of
>bookmarks is not surprising at all - what's surprising to me is that
>an app for research (like Firefox) can't seem to handle it.

It could also be that there's a corruption within the bookmark file.

OTOH, how many of those bookmarks are actually valid currently?  URLs
get stale fast these days.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth